This is an on-going series of Aromatherapy for everyday living. Aromatherapy is a holistic therapy with the use of essential oils by a holistic health practitioner, such as an aromatherapist, massage therapist or esthetician, who uses essential oils on a client for the treatment of physical, emotional or spiritual disorders, illness, or disease. You don’t need to be a holistic health care practitioner to use aromatherapy or essential oils on yourself. You only need to have the desire to use them as a self-healing modality, but you do need to exercise caution and understand how to use essential oils on yourself safely. Please refer to the How To Use EOs for guidelines and methods of use. Aromatherapy, when used properly, is an effective and complimentary holistic healing therapy that can be incorporated into everyday living practices as a natural means of alleviating symptoms for health issues such as stress, insomnia, depression, muscular aches, pains, burns, cuts and bruises.
- Inhalation – The easiest method is to simply add 2-3 drops on a tissue and inhale deeply 3 or 4 times. Almost every essential oil known will have some effect when used this way within minutes.
- Aromatic Bath – Fill your bath with water then add 10-15 drops of essential oils (EOs) and disperse the oils into the water with your hand. You can add 1/4 tsp. of any vegetable oil (olive, grapeseed) for a luxurious moisturizing bath. Soak 15-20 minutes breathing and inhaling deeply to relax.
- Diffusers – Range from simple aroma lamps, which work by evaporation to, sophisticated nebulizers that infuse the air with microscopic droplets of pure EOs. If you don’t have a diffuser, you can put 10-15 drops of the EOs in a pretty bowl of water – natural air currents will distribute the fragrances.
- Room Mists – Take a 1 oz bottle with a spray top and fill with distilled water and add 10 drops of EOs, shake well and spray. The spray quickly adds a wonderful therapeutic fragrance to the air around you.
- Hydrosol – Ladies listen up! Cool yourself off at the beach or set your makeup with your very own hydrosol. Follow the same formula as for making a room mist but choose Lavender or Geranium Rose only for this use.
- Massage – Add 10-12 drops of EOs to 1 oz of carrier oil (sweet almond, apricot kernal, grapeseed) into a flip top bottle. Have your massage therapist work on you with your own blend or your partner, wife, husband, etc.
Until the next time – Be Happy and stay well,