“When I was just a lad of ten, my father said to me,” Come here and take a lesson from the lovely lemon tree.” Don’t put your faith in love my boy”, my father said to me. “I fear you’ll find that love is like the lovely lemon tree.”
– Will Holt
Lemons are the golden gift of the sun! They are lively, energizing and purifying. Lemons are desired and is a gift that keeps on giving. They are abundant in Calfornia and Florida and lemon trees are in many backyards. Some of you (and you know who you are) are lemon-snatchers. If you don’t have a lemon tree or don’t want to pay what they charge in the store these days, they are too good to snatch up. Let’s face it, lemons have gotten so expensive these days — I hear the OMG’s all the time in the lemon aisle at the supermarket. But you want lemons — you need that lemon for your favorite recipe or for dinner tonight, so you put them in your cart anyway because we cook with lemons all the time! We need lemons. We want lemons. We desire lemons! We can’t live without lemons! But I’m here to tell you that lemons are good for more than just cooking…
The health benefits of lemons are plenty!
Lemons are good for digestion, heartburn and nausea; they are a stimulant for the immune system; they have antiseptic properties and are loaded with vitamin C — so a few drops in your water, will help cure a cold faster; lemons help to treat infections and they speed up the healing process of a cut or minor wound – you can add a single drop of essential oil of lemon to something as simple as neosporin. And the list goes on…
The Health Benefits of Lemon In Your Home
- Use Lemon As A Room Scent – Add lemon essential oil to your room diffuser. Why? Because lemon has antibacterial properties and will kill germs and keep them from spreading. This keeps your home healthy. And lemon is a happy oil bringing optimism just from the fragrance.
- Neutralize Kitty Box Odor – Add a few drops of essential oil of lemon in a pretty bowl of water to freshen the air or use a diffuser in the bathroom with essential oil of lemon.
- Freshen Your Refrigerator – Bad smell coming from the frig? First of all, clean out and re-organize the frig and toss out all bad food. Then put 8-10 of drops of essential oil of lemon to a box of baking soda and place in the frig for several hours. Toss this box out after about 3 weeks and start over.
- Deodorize & Sanitize Cutting Boards With Lemon – Bacteria likes to live everywhere and especially on the cutting board in the kitchen. So to really kill the germs, after you wash the cutting board, deodorize and sanitize it with a fresh lemon cut in half, or spray it liberally with 10-12 drops of essential oil of lemon in an 8 ounce bottle of distilled water, then rinse it well before storing.
- Pesty Pests and Insects – It’s easy to keep those little pests and insects away. Wash floors or cabinets with water and soap and add to that the juice of 3 or 4 fresh lemons; or 12-15 drops of essential oil of lemon into the soap and water. You can also add 3-4 drops of essential oil of lemon on cotton balls and place in areas where these pesky creatures are coming in. Caution! Be careful that your small children or animals don’t have access.
- Deodorize Garbage Disposals & Toilets – Add the rinds of lemons you used for cooking into your disposal to freshen it up. To the toilet, add fresh lemon juice or 6 drops of essential oil of lemon and let sit for an hour or so. This will purify the air. Caution! Don’t leave the lid up if you have pets who like to drink toilet water.
- Feng Shui With Lemon – The use of lemon in the home brings optimism and promotes mental clarity and decisiveness and reduces negative thinking. Get your diffuser out and put essential oil of lemon in it. Help your optimism levels rise -use lemon liberally and often!
“Beneath the lemon tree one day
My love and I did lie
A girl so sweet that when she smiled
The sun rose in the sky
We passed the summer lost in love
Beneath the lemon tree
The music of her laughter hid
My father’s words from me”
Here’s to the health benefits of lemon in your home!
Kathleen Lamoureus, Wellness Professional