Eucalyptus is both invigorating and clears out the nasal passages all at the same time! Eucalyptus is the primary essential oil in Vicks VapoRub, so I know you know that smell well! I mean peoples, Vicks VapoRub has been around for many moons! It was even used in the 1918 flu epidemic! “It was discovered by a North Carolina druggist who found out how to combine in salve form, menthol and camphor with essential oils such as Eucalyptus & Thyme, so that when the salve is applied to the body heat, these ingredients are liberated in the form of vapors“. Eucalyptus is the favored essential oil used in saunas all over the world. Just the thing to revive your body after that long workout or to heal that cold or bronchitis you might have picked up. Eucalyptus has strong antiseptic, antibiotic and antiviral properties and has a really good reputation in the cold and flu world. Eucalyptus used as a steam inhalation, or a chest rub is highly beneficial for respiratory infections, colds, flu, fevers or congestion. Here are some simple uses for Eucalyptus for your personal health:
- Diffuser – Add Eucalyptus to a diffuser and use in your home or in your bedroom at bedtime. Use until symptoms are gone. (Follow manufactures directions in your diffuser for amount of drops to use)
- Bathing – Add 3-4 drops of Eucalyptus to bath water and mix well with your hand and soak for 10 minutes.
- Chest rub – Add 3 drops of Eucalyptus to 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil and massage into the chest area.
- Inhalation – Put a few drops of Eucalyptus on your pillow at night, or on a tissue. Inhale deeply 3-4 times.
- Steam inhalation – Create your own sauna while in the bath with the hot steam created inside your bath with door closed or shower curtain closed tightly. Add 8-10 drops of Eucalyptus to 8 ounces of distilled water in a spray bottle and spray liberally (away from your eyes) while you are bathing or showering. Breathe deeply and inhale in and out for at least 10 minutes.
Eucalyptus in the home is a good Feng Shui cure because it helps to purify and clear negative energy from your environment!
Eucalyptus is such a refreshing and invigorating aroma! Eucalyptus can also help to ease the anxiety and stress which can accompany any type of change or transitions in your life — perhaps you are moving into a new home or maybe you collect clutter and in turn your mind is full of clutter. Just the aroma and medicinal aspects of Eucalyptus will help to give you a sense of balance, calm your nervous system and increase concentration, which in turn, will help you to think logically and clearly. Eucalyptus is guaranteed to help you to feel physically and mentally healthy and alive! So here are two easy ways you can use Eucalyptus for the health of your home:
- Diffuser – Use Eucalyptus in a diffuser and reap the benefits of using this powerful essential oil in your home. Simply follow manufactures directions for amount of drops to use.
- Room Spray – Don’t have a diffuser? Not to worry. Here is an easy and simple method to activate the power of Eucalyptus in your home today . To an 8 ounce bottle of purified water, add 8-10 drops of Eucalyptus and spray liberally in the air (avoiding your face or eyes). Do this a couple of times each day and in every room.
Side Note 1 – About animals and the use of essential oils. Please note that your little doggie or kitty cat may gravitate towards the aromas of essential oils, (some animals really love EO’s) or they may run away hideously fast! So don’t overdo it with essential oils in the areas where they like to hang, if they are not so crazy about it. Side note 2 – Eucalyptus is a great flea repellent, but I’ll tell you about that another day.
I hope you found this article beneficial and I do hope that you will incorporate Aromatherapy into your everyday living practices. It’s one of the best things for your home and your health.
Your Aroma Zen Zone Coach,